The tour starts outside the entrance to the Weston Library,
Broad Street, Oxford OX1 3BG
Explore the city that inspired scenes and provided many on-screen locations on the Harry Potter and Movie Locations Tour of Oxford. See historic buildings and settings that not only feature in the Harry Potter series, but many of your other favourite movies too.
With a guide on-hand to fill you in on everything you need to know, learn about how the streets and buildings of Oxford are intrinsically connected with the big screen.
Covid-19 safety measures
As it has always been, the health & safety of our guests and team members remains our highest priority. We are doing everything we can to ensure you travel safety and provide maximum flexibility as the situation around Covid-19 continues to evolve. We have officially been given the green light and Good to Go accreditation by Visit Britain & Visit England, so we can now operate safely keeping you & our team healthy throughout. WE have a detailed plan to do so, issued below:
Brit Movie Tours recognises their responsibility to ensure that staff & suppliers (as well as guests) comply with health & safety legislation and maximise the safety of our clients & staff in relation to Covid-19.
In brief, we are making sure that all vehicles are cleaned to the highest standards, that all staff are trained (and re-trained when emerging or evolving information determines) and are provided with the right knowledge and equipment to carry out their duties effectively. Our new protocols to keep you healthy during our tours include:
- Flexible booking options
- Full internal sanitation/cleaning of all coach and taxi vehicles used on our tours
- Social distancing rules & guidelines for walking tours
- Complete staff & guide training to implement new protocols
- Guides will ensure they are familiar with the most up-to-date public health guidelines and will adhere to these for the duration of the tour.
- Guides will maintain government-recommended social distancing between themselves and clients at all times. On tours where the group includes different households, guides will encourage and help clients to adopt appropriate social distancing between each other too.
- When guiding groups from different households, guides will follow government guidance to determine the maximum possible group size.
- Guides will avoid shaking hands or any other physical contact with clients.
- Guides will apply rigorous hygiene practices, including thoroughly cleaning and waiting for hands to dry before guiding, and use a personal hand sanitiser when this is not possible.
- If requested, guides will consider wearing a mask or visor.
- Guides will know where public toilets/hand-washing facilities/hand sanitiser points are available.
- Guides will ensure they are fully aware of sites’ visited on tour and any specific Covid-19 requirements and comply with them.
- Guides will be familiar with more crowded areas and will make best efforts to negotiate them, or if appropriate, avoid them.
- Where appropriate, guides will liaise with coach companies and private vehicle companies and drivers to ensure vehicles have been thoroughly sanitised.
The result is a sanitised attraction but certainly not a sanitised experience! You are here to enjoy our fabulous tours, discover new places & experience an authentic destination. We believe that our new introductions to hygiene/cleaning will allow you to enjoy your visit to the full.
We feel it vitally important to have a strict cleaning protocol in place and that this is transparent.
The buildings throughout Oxford look like they came straight out of the Harry Potter books. So, when it came to making the movies, this was an obvious place to look for locations to recreate the grand halls of Hogwarts.
On this tour, you’ll get to visit these locations. One of which is the Divinity School at the Bodleian Library. This vast room, with its vaulted gothic ceiling and towering paned windows, was the perfect setting for the Hogwarts Infirmary.
In the same building, the 15th-century Duke Humphrey’s Library also doubled up as Hogwarts Library’s restricted section. On top of this, the Bodleian Library has also featured in The Golden Compass and X-Men: First Class, among others.
You will also get to visit the New College Cloisters and Courtyard. The intricate designs of the cloister arches can be seen throughout the Harry Potter movies. And the courtyard provided the setting for one of the most notable scenes in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. This is where Mad-Eye Moody transforms Draco Malfoy into a ferret. You’ll even be able to see the tree that Draco stood under at the beginning of the scene.
As well as appearing in the Harry Potter movies, parts of Oxford also inspired some of what you see on screen.
The Tudor Great Dining Hall in Christ Church College is well known to be the inspiration behind Hogwart’s Great Hall. And there are many other connections to Harry Potter throughout the city that your guide will be more than happy to point out!
The Harry Potter and Movie Locations Tour of Oxford is the perfect adventure for any Harry Potter fan. It lets you uncover the Wizarding World in an already magical city!
Departing from Weston Library, Broad Street and finishing at Christ Church College, tours last approx. 2 hours.