The name “Carfax” derives from the Latin quadrifurcus via the French carrefour, both of which mean “crossroads”. The tower is located in the centre of Oxford’s shopping area since the medieval times. This 6 bells tower is all that remains of the 14th-century Church of St Martin.
The Carfax Tower, also known as St. Martin’s Tower, is a prominent landmark and provides a look-out over the town. In 1896 the City Church was moved to All Saints Church in the High Street. The tower is 74 feet (ca. 23 m) tall, and no building in central Oxford may be built higher than it.