For the construction of the cathedral rocks were cut out from the Moenchsberg. In 1693, Archbishop Johann Ernst von Thun decided to use this cavity in the mountain and had a riding school built in which tournaments were held.
Today this building is a theater and one of the venues situated in the Festival District. The “real” Trapp family sang here at a choir competition. In the motion picture, Christopher Plummer sang “Edelweiss” while their escape was organized behind the curtain.
The Horse Pond next to the Festival Building is another sight a lot of people associate with The Sound of Music. It was built in 1695 by Austrian architect Fischer von Erlach. Before being part of this movie, it served as a watering place for the Archbishop’s riding stables.