Experience a world of elegance as we embark for the Downton Abbey Filming Locations and Blenheim Palace tour. We explore some of the most iconic scenes featured across the TV series.
A personal guide boasting heaps of Downton Abbey and Churchill knowledge will be on hand to show you memorable filming locations such as Downton village, St Mary’s Church and the Yew Tree Farm as well as the majestic Blenheim Palace. The entrance fee to Blenheim Palace and the Sir Winston Churchill Exhibition is included in the tour price.
From €162 per person
Covid-19 safety measures
International Friends Safety Policy for Covid-19 has been designed taking account of key guidelines and information from three key sources:
- World Travel & Tourism Council ‘Safe Travels’ initiative
- UK government advice on travelling in Britain
- Working closely with our key partners (e.g. tourist attractions) and staff (guides, drivers).
We have been awarded the “We’re Good To Go” mark. This is the official UK mark to signal that a tourism business has worked hard to implement procedures in line with Government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, and has a process in place to maintain cleanliness and aid social distancing.
KEY OBJECTIVE – TO ENSURE THE SAFETY, HEALTH AND ENJOYMENT FOR ALL INTERNATIONAL FRIENDS CUSTOMERS AND STAFF
To meet our Key Objective, our planning and delivery has been broken down into 3 areas:
- STAFF AND OPERATIONAL PREPAREDNESS
We have developed a COVID-19 prevention plan including an action/checklist for infection prevention, and a special cleaning and disinfection plan.
- Protocols and guidelines are in place for staff health, including health checks for staff if required.
- Office layout has been re-designed to ensure staff keep their physical distance, and we have limited the number of staff in common back-of-house areas where possible.
- Protocols in place to minimise physical contact. Physical distancing protocols have been implemented.
- Personal protection equipment (PPE) is available to all staff, such as masks and hand sanitisers.
- We have worked closely with all suppliers and partners, including tourist attractions, restaurants, hotels and transport partners, to ensure they follo likeminded health and hygiene protocols and guidelines to protect all International Friends guests.
- A COVID-19 contingency plan is in place should new cases emerge, in collaboration with destinations, suppliers and partners.
- All cleanliness and disinfection best practices have been validated by expert bodies, health authorities and governmental institutions.
- Different options for operations have been explored to ensure the customer health and safety risk is as low as possible. Areas explored and implemented include smaller groups, timed entries for attractions and empty seat policies.
- We will provide clear, consistent and up-to-date communication to all customers on health & hygiene protocols.
- All suppliers to implement clear signage to inform guests of the enhanced cleaning protocols, avoiding physical contact, and recommendations
- We will share guest guidelines ahead of your day trip, tour or transfer and where applicable in person upon commencement of trip.
- Inform all guests about support available if questions or concerns arise prior to your travel with International Friends.
- All vehicles used are deep cleaned and disinfected daily.
- Masks and hand sanitiser products will be made available to all guests on all vehicles.
- Empty seat policy. The maximum capacity on all scheduled day trips, tours and transfers will be limited. This is to ensure empty seats will be left between individual travellers and couples/groups.
- All attractions and restaurants pre-booked to ensure timed entry allowing for strict control of overall numbers present at any time.
- Established with partners and suppliers that they follow likeminded health, sanitation, disinfection and hygiene protocols aligned with local regulation.
The Downton Abbey Filming Locations and Blenheim Palace tour begins by heading to the Cotswolds to the West of London. There are a wealth of fantastic photo opportunities here as we witness the picturesque rolling hill and honey-coloured village buildings. We make our way to Cogges, the century-old farm before enjoying a walk through the animal inhabited farmyard fields.
Your Downton Abbey guide will provide the history of how Cogges fit into Downton. The Drewe family and Lady Edith’s daughter Marigold grew up at Yew Tree Farm, and you’ll get to explore the filming location first hand. Before heading to the old milking barn and enjoying a coffee, we experience an exclusive documentary surrounding a day’s filming in Downton in the Manor House.
We move onto Bampton, which is home to the Downton Village. You’ll have some time here to explore where some of the series most memorable characters were laid to rest in St Mary’s graveyard. Entering the church, we see first hand where at least one iconic character was jilted, and many others were blissfully married. Exploring the outside of the church will provide excellent views of the village green, Mrs Crawley’s home, and the Cottage Hospital nearby.
You’ll also get to witness the houses that were converted to create the Grantham Pub, the post office and the Dog and Duck. You might like to purchase a souvenir from the small Downton gift shop before we move on.
We now continue the tour for an exclusive visit to Sir Winston and Lady Churchill’s graves in Bladon village. Before heading to Woodstock we break for lunch (at own expense). The final stop of the tour is at Sir Winston Churchill’s birthplace in 1874 at Blenham palace. Here you’ll experience the Churchill exhibition (included in the tour price), and you might like to stroll through the picturesque gardens before we return to London.
The tour draws to a close by transporting you back to Victoria Train Station in London one of London’s largest transport locations.
Pick-up points and departure times
Please ensure you arrive at your allocated pick-up point at least 10 minutes before your departure time.
07:15hrs Outside The British Museum main entrance on Great Russell Street, or
07:30hrs Outside the Hard Rock Hotel main entrance, Marble Arch, or
07:45hrs Outside Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, 97 Cromwell Road (wait on Cromwell road by the bus stop, not outside the hotel entrance)
09:15hrs Outside Oxford Visitor Information Centre, 15 – 16 Broad Street
Passengers from Oxford will be returned to Oxford by taxi after the tour.