Discover where The Desolation of Smaug, the second film in The Hobbit trilogy, was filmed on New Zealand’s Pelorus River. The Hobbit Kayak Tour on the Pelorus River will place you in Peter Jackson’s choice of destination for the Forest River where the Bilbo and the Dwarves travelled in barrels.
Your tour guide will be on hand to help you capture the beauty of Pelorus River as you paddle downstream spotting occurrences of stunning wildlife such as the fine species of New Zealand forest birds, and a population of endangered New Zealand bats.
From €110 per person
The Hobbit Kayak Tour on the Pelorus River is perfect for those who relish an opportunity to enjoy some outdoor fun and adventure, and the filming locations will excite The Hobbit fans as well as visitors new to the scene.
Whether you’re brand new to kayaking or you’ve experienced it before, the Hobbit Kayak Tour on the Pelorus River will be an experience you will never forget. The guided tour in an inflatable canoe is suitable for all ages and provides an excellent opportunity to experience canoeing in one of the most memorable filming locations featured in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
As you travel along the Pelorus River you’ll also be in the vicinity other filming locations featured within Peter Jackson’s Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies. Just West of the Pelorus River is the Nelson Tasman Region, which featured scenes from The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
Your experienced tour guide will explain how to paddle using your own canoe as you travel along the Pelorus river, stopping to take in the beauty of the waterfalls and crystal-clear streams along the way. You’ll also get an insight into the Gold and Timber industries and how they developed the top of the South.
1. Meet and greet at our base / Bluemoon Lodge Havelock. Get fitted with our high-quality paddling equipment.
2. Enjoy a 25 minute scenic drive in one of our comfy minibuses to our private entry location on the Pelorus river.
3. Paddle over 7 km down the river, visiting remote filming locations from The Hobbit en route.
4. Stop and enjoy a swim in one of the many private, crystal clear swimming pools.
5. Continue downstream to our takeout point and shuttle bus.
6. We bring you back by bus to the starting point at Bluemoon Lodge Havelock.
Our Hobbit Kayak Tour will help you explore this famous filming location by standing on the same rocks & passing the same waterfall as Bilbo and his friends. Get involved in this amazing Middle-earth location.