Explore the origins of an English TV staple on the Emmerdale Classic Locations Tour from Leeds. See where the drama began on this journey through soap opera history.
Few TV shows can boast the longevity and success of Emmerdale. Starting in 1972, known then as Emmerdale Farm, it has brought rural life to countless homes in the UK and further afield. Now a household name, its popularity spans generations, and will surely draw in future fans for years to come.
Covid-19 safety measures
As it has always been, the health & safety of our guests and team members remains our highest priority. We are doing everything we can to ensure you travel safety and provide maximum flexibility as the situation around Covid-19 continues to evolve. We have officially been given the green light and Good to Go accreditation by Visit Britain & Visit England, so we can now operate safely keeping you & our team healthy throughout. WE have a detailed plan to do so, issued below:
Brit Movie Tours recognises their responsibility to ensure that staff & suppliers (as well as guests) comply with health & safety legislation and maximise the safety of our clients & staff in relation to Covid-19.
In brief, we are making sure that all vehicles are cleaned to the highest standards, that all staff are trained (and re-trained when emerging or evolving information determines) and are provided with the right knowledge and equipment to carry out their duties effectively. Our new protocols to keep you healthy during our tours include:
- Flexible booking options
- Full internal sanitation/cleaning of all coach and taxi vehicles used on our tours
- Social distancing rules & guidelines for walking tours
- Complete staff & guide training to implement new protocols
- Guides will ensure they are familiar with the most up-to-date public health guidelines and will adhere to these for the duration of the tour.
- Guides will maintain government-recommended social distancing between themselves and clients at all times. On tours where the group includes different households, guides will encourage and help clients to adopt appropriate social distancing between each other too.
- When guiding groups from different households, guides will follow government guidance to determine the maximum possible group size.
- Guides will avoid shaking hands or any other physical contact with clients.
- Guides will apply rigorous hygiene practices, including thoroughly cleaning and waiting for hands to dry before guiding, and use a personal hand sanitiser when this is not possible.
- If requested, guides will consider wearing a mask or visor.
- Guides will know where public toilets/hand-washing facilities/hand sanitiser points are available.
- Guides will ensure they are fully aware of sites’ visited on tour and any specific Covid-19 requirements and comply with them.
- Guides will be familiar with more crowded areas and will make best efforts to negotiate them, or if appropriate, avoid them.
- Where appropriate, guides will liaise with coach companies and private vehicle companies and drivers to ensure vehicles have been thoroughly sanitised.
The result is a sanitised attraction but certainly not a sanitised experience! You are here to enjoy our fabulous tours, discover new places & experience an authentic destination. We believe that our new introductions to hygiene/cleaning will allow you to enjoy your visit to the full.
We feel it vitally important to have a strict cleaning protocol in place and that this is transparent.
Now you have the opportunity to see where it all started!
For Emmerdale fans that remember the show from 1972 up to 1997, this tour is the perfect day out! Departing from Leeds City Centre, you will get to see some of the iconic locations that featured on screen over the years.
First, you’ll pass by ITV Studios, where all of the interior-set filming takes place. The building’s exterior has also featured as Hotten General Hospital. You never know, you might even spot some of the current stars as they make their way onto set!
Next, you’ll make a stop in Otley, the original location of Hotten. The market square in this small town regularly featured as a backdrop to the high-drama storylines. While you’re here, make sure to take a stroll through the town, grab some refreshments at a local cafe, and maybe even re-create some of your favourite scenes!
From here you will travel to Esholt, recognisable as the original Emmerdale Village. A picturesque location, bursting with character, you’ll see immediately why it was chosen as the soap opera’s home. The tour makes a 45-minute stop here. This gives you plenty of time to soak in the atmosphere and discover the true beauty of the area. You’ll even have a chance to pick up some Emmerdale souvenirs. On the other hand, your time can be just as well spent enjoying a few drinks in the original Woolpack Pub!
You’ll also get to see some of the farms that have featured throughout the years.
First, you’ll make a stop at Butler’s Farm, which has been home to many characters over the years. Then it’s on to the place where it all began: Emmerdale Farm itself! Finally, you’ll get a chance to see Home Farm. Currently owned by the character Joe Tate, it holds the title of being the largest building in all of Emmerdale!
The Emmerdale Classic Locations Tour from Leeds offers not just a trip down memory lane, but also an opportunity to explore England’s lush countryside.